Join us on an 8-mile linear or 11-mile circular walk around Reading, visiting some of the parks, urban woodlands and waterside paths. There is a planned optional visit to a brewery after 8 miles. Parts of the walk will be muddy, so please wear suitable footwear.
We will head out of town along the river Kennet, before joining the Holy Brook along the south side of Coley Park. Our walk will continue north via Prospect Park, Lousehill Copse and up to McIlroy Park for (hopefully) fine views.
After lunch we’ll head across to Arthur Newbery Park, before joining the Thames Path from Tilehurst back to Scours Lane.
The 8-mile walk will end at Norcot Junction bus stop, which has frequent services back to Reading town centre (e.g. Purple 17 bus every 12 minutes).
Alternatively join the walk leader for belated birthday drinks at the nearby Double-Barrelled Brewery taproom (https://doublebarrelled.co.uk/taproom/) if rules allow. Wine and soft drinks are also available.
After an extended drinks stop those of us doing the 11 mile walk will rejoin the Thames Path back to Reading Station.
By public transport
Frequent trains and buses to Reading Station
Car parking options include station (£9), Kings Meadow (£5.10) or Thames Promenade (free, but please check signs in car park)
- If you or someone else from your household has COVID-19 symptoms, please do not attend.
- Please be considerate to other path users and step aside to let people past – and don’t forget to say ‘hi’ or ‘thanks’!
- Please bring a packed lunch and a drink.
- It might be muddy – please wear suitable footwear.
- If it’s a rainy day, please bring waterproofs.
- Please feel free to contact the leader with queries about the walk, or if you are delayed on the day.
- This walk is limited to 24 walkers including the walk leader.
- Do not turn up for the walk without booking, else we will have to turn you away.
- Book a place on this walk by completing this Google Form. Booking will open the Wednesday evening before the walk.
- If you have any queries, please email email@example.com.