Starting from Reading train station, this 10 mile linear walk follows the Kennet and Avon canal to Aldermaston, with an optional alcoholic or non-alcoholic drink and/or ice cream at Aldermaston Tea Rooms
Starting from Reading train station, we will briefly walk through the town and the Oracle’s Brewery Gut to the official start of the towpath at County Lock. We will see how the other half live and how their gardens back onto the canal. We will then hit Fobney Lock, have a brief detour around Fobney Island nature reserve and from there, we will see more nature, arable land and pastures.
There will be a lunch stop at Garston Lock (or further along the canal if we reach it early). We will carry on following the path, crossing a few bridges here and there until we reach Aldermaston Wharf.
There is an optional stop at Aldermaston Tea Rooms, which sells tea, soft drinks, ice creams and alcoholic drinks. Payment is contactless and the seating is outside. Toilets are also available. It is a five minute walk to the station (if that) and I can show people the way when they are ready.
The trains go back to Reading and to Newbury every hour just after 20 past. Please note this station does not have a ticket machine and so tickets will need to be bought in advance.
Trains and buses are available to Reading. The train is available from Aldermaston.
Park at Aldermaston train station (around £2-3), get the 10:19 Aldermaston train to Reading for 10:35. You will then be ready to leave whenever is best for you.
- If you or someone else from your household has COVID-19 symptoms, please do not attend.
- You must follow all safety advice given by the walk leader.
- It is recommended that you bring hand sanitizer or gloves in case you need to touch gates/stiles/etc.
- Please be considerate to other path users and step aside to let people past – and don’t forget to say ‘hi’ or ‘thanks’!
- Please bring a packed lunch and a drink.
- Please bring a drink and a snack.
- It might be muddy – please wear suitable footwear.
- If it’s a rainy day, please bring waterproofs.
- If it’s a hot sunny day, please bring plenty of water and wear sun cream and a sun hat!
- Please feel free to contact the leader with queries about the walk, or if you are delayed on the day.
- This walk is limited to 15 walkers including the walk leader.
- Do not turn up for the walk without booking, else we will have to turn you away.
- Book a place on this walk by completing this Google Form. Booking will open the Wednesday evening before the walk.
- We will only use the contact information you provide to get in touch about the walk, or to share if requested with NHS Test and Trace.
- If after booking, you need to cancel your place on the walk, please use the link in your walk booking confirmation email so that we can make your place available to someone else.
- If you have any queries, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.