This is a 7 mile circular walk starting at Pangbourne Station across Berkshire towards Theale to visit Wilders Folly via Sulham Woods.
This is an easy and leisurely 7 mile circular walk starting at Pangbourne Station across Berkshire towards Theale to visit Wilders Folly via Sulham Woods. Upon leaving Pangbourne Station we head through the village and towards Sulham Woods and through the tiny village of Sulham.
After this we walk into Boxgrove Wood which will be giving us a glimpse of our romantic destination – Wilders Folly. Up here we will have beautiful views across Berkshire (weather permitting).
The brick tower was built in 1769 by Reverend Henry Wilder while he was courting Joan Thoyts, younger sister of John Thoyts of Sulhamstead House. Wilder constructed the tower so that it could be seen from Thoyts’ home as well as from his own residence, Sulham House.
Sulham House can still be seen through the south arch of Wilder’s Folly looking north, but Sulhamstead House is no longer visible from the top of the hill. Wilder and Thoyts were married on 13 June 1769, and had eleven children.
After our visit to Wilders Folly we start our return leg bag towards Pangbourne, but not before heading to Tidmarsh. Here we have the opportunity to stop for a welcome drink stop at The Greyhound pub.
Following our pub stop we continue with our route back towards Pangbourne and getting to walk along a stretch of the River Pang. Finally we will end up back at Pangbourne Station for the conclusion of the walk.
Please wear suitable footwear as the ground is now starting to get muddy and can be slippery at times.
The walk will start at 11.00am following the arrival of the 10.52am train from Reading.
You can either park at the train station or at the car park in the middle of Pangbourne – charges apply for both car parks.
- If you or someone else from your household has COVID-19 symptoms, please do not attend.
- Please be considerate to other path users and step aside to let people past – and don’t forget to say ‘hi’ or ‘thanks’!
- Please bring a packed lunch and a drink.
- It might be muddy – please wear suitable footwear.
- If it’s a rainy day, please bring waterproofs.
- If it’s a hot sunny day, please bring plenty of water and wear sun cream and a sun hat!
- Please feel free to contact the leader with queries about the walk, or if you are delayed on the day.
- This walk is limited to 20 walkers including the walk leader.
- Do not turn up for the walk without booking, else we will have to turn you away.
- Book a place on this walk by completing this Google Form. Booking will open the Wednesday evening before the walk.
- If you have any queries, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.