This 10.5 mile walk offers fine views of the Winchester skyline and several stretches following the peaceful River Itchen.
The first part of the walk takes us through the historic city centre of Winchester, past the King Alfred statue and the City Hall, to reach the banks of the River Itchen for the first time in the walk. We will then have lunch at the top of St Catherine’s Hill enjoying the views back across the city and the cathedral. Continuing on to Twyford Down and returning to the Itchen for the last stretch, we reach the village of Shawford and the pub stop at the Bridge Inn. Please note that at this point (approximately 5 miles into the walk) it is possible to drop out and return to Winchester from Shawford station.
Continuing on from the pub, we cross Compton Down and join the Clarendon Way, with more views of Winchester Cathedral. We pass the Hospital of St Cross and return to the centre of Winchester to finish the walk through the Water Meadows by the Itchen, past the famous college and finishing by the cathedral.
Please catch the 10.51 train from Reading if coming by train. The walk leader intends to travel on this train, if it is delayed, the start of the walk will be as well.
For those driving, parking is available in central Winchester.
- If you or someone else from your household has COVID-19 symptoms, please do not attend.
- You must follow all safety advice given by the walk leader.
- It is recommended that you bring hand sanitizer or gloves in case you need to touch gates/stiles/etc.
- Please be considerate to other path users and step aside to let people past – and don’t forget to say ‘hi’ or ‘thanks’!
- Please bring a packed lunch and a drink.
- It might be muddy – please wear suitable footwear.
- If it’s a rainy day, please bring waterproofs.
- Please feel free to contact the leader with queries about the walk, or if you are delayed on the day.
- Do not turn up for the walk without booking, else we will have to turn you away.
- Book a place on this walk by completing this Google Form. Booking will open the Wednesday evening before the walk.
- We will only use the contact information you provide to get in touch about the walk, or to share if requested with NHS Test and Trace.
- If after booking, you need to cancel your place on the walk, please use the link in your walk booking confirmation email so that we can make your place available to someone else.
- If you have any queries, please email email@example.com.