For those who like something a little more strenuous, this hilly walk follows the Greensand Way across Winterfold, Reynard’s, Pitch, and Holmbury Hills, offering some spectacular views over the Surrey countryside, before returning via Hurt and Winterfold Woods to the start point at Shamley Green.
The walk begins outside the Red Lion pub in Shamley Green from where we very quickly pick up the Greensand Way across the fields and onto the wooded hillside of Winterfold Heath and on to Winterfold Hill (207m), continuing to Reynard’s Hill (245m), passing the windmill at Ewhurst and then on to to Pitch Hill (257m), the first of two major viewpoints on the route.
From here, the route descends a little through the edge of Hurt Wood, emerging into more open country before entering the eastern half of the wood and climbing up to Holmbury Hill (267m), our highest point and second panoramic viewpoint.
After this, we leave the Greensand Way, returning via the northern flanks of these hills through Hurt Wood and Winterfold Wood, back to our start point in Shamley Green, where there is the option to seek well-earned refreshment at one of the pubs.
Please note the “challenging” grade – this route is significantly hillier than most of our walks, with over 550m total ascent, and some sections are quite steep and uneven (and possibly muddy if there has been recent rain). Sturdy walking boots are thus strongly recommended, and please make sure you have plenty of water and extra snacks for energy as well as a packed lunch.
The walk will begin shortly after the arrival of the 10:40 Arriva 53 bus from Guildford (https://www.arrivabus.co.uk/find-a-service/53-63-63x-guildford-to-ewhurst-or-horsham). If travelling from Reading, please take the 09:41 train to Shalford and change onto the bus there. The walk leader will be on the train to show the way to the bus stop – if either the train or bus is late then the start of the walk will be too. Return buses and trains run hourly.
If driving, please park legally and considerately near the village green or elsewhere in the village.
- If you or someone else from your household has COVID-19 symptoms, please do not attend.
- You must follow all safety advice given by the walk leader.
- It is recommended that you bring hand sanitizer or gloves in case you need to touch gates/stiles/etc.
- Please be considerate to other path users and step aside to let people past – and don’t forget to say ‘hi’ or ‘thanks’!
- Please bring a packed lunch and a drink.
- Please feel free to contact the leader with queries about the walk, or if you are delayed on the day.
- Do not turn up for the walk without booking, else we will have to turn you away.
- Book a place on this walk by completing this Google Form. Booking will open the Wednesday evening before the walk.
- We will only use the contact information you provide to get in touch about the walk, or to share if requested with NHS Test and Trace.
- If after booking, you need to cancel your place on the walk, please use the link in your walk booking confirmation email so that we can make your place available to someone else.
- If you have any queries, please email email@example.com.