This page gives useful tips on finding start locations, getting to walks and allowing for enough time for the beginning of the walk. Walks will leave promptly at the advised time on the website, unless due to unforeseen circumstances.
- Finding Start Locations
- Using Satellite Navigation Coordinates
- Arriving in Good Time (walks start promptly!)
Finding Start Location: Ordnance Survey Maps
- Our Walks page on this website contains Ordnance Survey (OS) grid references for the start locations. These contain links that when clicked will cause a new browser window to open displaying a map of the area with the start location indicated by an arrow.
- The scale of the map may be changed by clicking the – and + buttons on the zoom control at the bottom right-hand side of the map. The different scales range from a street plan (with road names), a 1:25,000 OS map (showing field boundaries and footpaths), 1:50,000 OS map and various scales of road-atlas type maps, which should help you plan your route to the start location.
Driving to Locations: Sat Nav Coordinates
- Our Walks and Social Events pages also include navigational references (suitable for some Sat Navs). These will be Post Codes when possible, but for places not served by post codes Lat/Long co-ordinates are provided instead.
- Most Sat Nav systems allow you to enter a destination in coordinate form, e.g. N51.123456° W1.123456°. This is more accurate than post codes as often a large area can cover one post code in rural areas.
- Note that longitude may be expressed as a negative East number instead of a positive West number, depending on your Sat Nav system. (For example E-1.123456° is the same as W1.123456°). If in doubt, please refer to your Sat Nav User Manual.
Please Arrive in Good Time!
- When travelling to a walk or other event, please allow enough time to get there, park and be ready to start (e.g. put your boots on) before the start time! Please do not hold everyone else up by arriving late.
- Please consider car sharing or using public transport to make your journey!